The Silhouette Challenge is a viral trend on TikTok that involves users posing in a doorway before transforming into a sultry black silhouette against a red background. The trend started as a form of empowerment, with people using it as a way to feel sexy and good in their bodies. The challenge hashtag has amassed over 90 million views on TikTok.
Here’s how to do the Silhouette Challenge on TikTok:
- Find a doorway to pose in. If you don’t have one, any sultry backdrop will do.
- Stand in front of the doorway, record the first part of the video including the final pose, and save it to your camera roll. This should be done in normal lighting and wearing your clothes.
- Head to Snapchat and select the “Vin Rouge” filter. This filter will turn the video into a red silhouette.
- Import the saved video from your camera roll into Snapchat and apply the “Vin Rouge” filter.
- Once the filter is applied, record the second part of the video in the red silhouette form.
- Add a sound to your video, making sure it fits the sultry vibe of the challenge.
The trend has also faced some controversy, as people have found ways to edit the videos to reveal more details about the participants’ bodies. Social media users have been warning each other about these tutorials and advising people to be cognizant of what they’re wearing before editing for the final product
Origin Of Challange
The Silhouette Challenge originated on TikTok in January 2021 and was popularized by singer Chloe Bailey of the musical duo Chloe x Halle. The challenge involves creating a video that only shows the participant’s silhouette, often against the backdrop of colorful lighting.
The trend started as a body-positive movement, empowering women to celebrate their bodies and sensual sides. The challenge’s songs are an essential part of it, starting with “Put Your Head On My Shoulder” by Paul Anka and transitioning into “Streets” by Doja Cat. To create a Silhouette Challenge video, TikTokers can use a Snapchat filter called “Vin Rouge” to achieve the red lighting effect.